Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Moving On

As of yesterday I no longer attend Salem State University. The process of withdrawal was so easy it was almost a let down; after all the bullshit and red tape that institution has put me through, a simple two minute phone call was all it took to get out of it. The only thing I plan on doing in concerns of that school is pay off my debts and get a transcript. If all goes according to plan I'll be attend UMASS Amherst this fall, and after completing my bachelors I'd like to go to Hampshire College to finish my schooling. I hope to one day be a librarian; not at your local public library, I want to hold a position in an academic library. Doing research and assisting others and such. I think I'll really enjoy aiding others in their quest for knowledge.
Lately I've had a dithyrambic pursuit of all things Joss Whedon; I've just finished watching all seven seasons of Buffy (have now moved onto the comics), and am about half way finished with the first season of Angel. I watched both series sporadically when they were on the air, but never really got into them. In high school I watched Firefly, which I loved, and of course I've always been a Toy Story fanatic. There's something about the way he writes and the characters he creates that has sucked me in. I can't get enough.
In other news, I've been reading (and am almost done) with Moby Dick. It's a very good book, but I didn't really enjoy it that much. Herman Melville is a wonderful author who has a real command of the English language, however he has a tendency, like most of his contemporaries, to prattle on and on about nothing much. Now, I know there is more to a book than just story, and I appreciate all the background he gives on the whaling industry, but if you removed everything not pertaining to the plot, the 500 plus page novel would probably only be about 200. It is interesting, however, that Ishmael (who I thought would be the main character) is really nothing more than a silent narrator. All the action of the story is mostly controlled by Ahab. I would say that the main character of the novel is either Ahab or the whale Moby Dick. My favorite part of the novel (so far, I only have about 30 pages left) is when Ahab refuses to abandon his quest for Moby Dick to help his fellow Nantucketer and whaling captain search for his son. This scene really show how mad and devoted Ahab has become in his adventure for revenge. Apparently there's an anime that was made based off the book; I'd like to check it out.
Still looking for a job, nothing promising yet. Still hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment